Abortion Care

What is Abortion?

Abortion is the termination (ending) of a pregnancy. Abortion is legal in every state, though some state laws make it harder to get an abortion than others. Learn more about the different types of abortion care here.

Do I need an adult's permission to have an abortion?

People under the age of 18 in Missouri can get an abortion if their parent or legal guardian consents (gives permission). If a person under 18 cannot involve their parents, they can go to court and ask a judge for permission to have an abortion. Free legal help is available to help you with this process.

For some young people in Missouri, the closest, or easiest to access, abortion clinic may be outside the state. Every state bordering Missouri requires young people to involve their parents in their decision or go to court. We can provide information on the nearest abortion clinics in nearby states and how to get free legal help if you need it.

I want an abortion, what do I do next? 

You will need to find a clinic that you can get to. You can look up the closest abortion clinics on abortionfinder.org. 

You will need to understand the parental involvement requirements in the state that you are going to. You can look up the state you want to get an abortion in on If/When/How's Judicial Bypass Wiki. In some states, only parents or legal guardians can give permission or be notified of a young person's abortion. In other states, other adults like stepparents or grandparents can do so. Some states require an adult to give permission, while other states only require them to be told about the abortion. Depending on state law and the clinic's rules, an adult may need to speak to the clinic on the phone, receive a letter, sign a document, or come to the clinic in-person with the young person.


If you can involve a parent, guardian, or other adult, call the clinic you want to go to and ask them how you are required to involve an adult so that you can have your abortion there, and which adults in your life are allowed to give permission or be notified.

If you cannot involve your parent, guardian or other adult, you can go to court to ask a judge for permission to get an abortion through a process called "judicial bypass". You can get free legal help with judicial bypass in the state where you will have your abortion. To find help, you can call the clinic where you want to get your abortion and ask them if they can help you find legal help.

At any time in your process - right at the beginning, or any time along the way, you can text us at 855-458-0886, and we will be happy to help you find a clinic, learn about parental involvement requirements, and get you connected you with legal help.